Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Chameleon Effect





Meet my work chair.

"Hello Work Chair." Says Cordelia.

"Hello Cordelia!" Says Work Chair.



On the one hand, Work Chair is great cause she has really helped with the whole pinched nerve/ numb back issue I got from slouching over my sewing machine all day.

On the other hand, she's black.

And boring.

 And black.

 And worn.

 And black.

Oh, and did I mention? She’s also black.

I like to have color in my studio (err can I really call it that when it’s also my bedroom?) and the chair really just didn’t fit in.
And this hurt her feelings.
And we can't have that.

So Cordelia and I decided to cover the chair in something a little more inspiring.

 And festive.

And don’t forget cheerful.

Or colorful.



TA-DA!!!
My goodness Work Chair. You look absolutely stunning!

So I found this Heather Baily (I love you Heather, I want to be just like you when I grow up) large rose print fabric and it was perfect.

 It was colorful.

 It was cheery

 It matched my desk beautifully.
(Desk to Work Chair, "How you doing?" Perhaps a little inter-office romance is brewing?)

 It was designed by my BFF Heather.

 And best of all? It was on sale.



So I got some. And I really had no idea how much I needed (seriously, who goes around covering desk chairs?), so I got a few yards. Cause it was so fantastic. And it was on sale. But you already knew that.


Look at those roses. Cordelia squalled with excitement when she saw them. Seriously. We love this chair now.

 It even inspired us to make…….




. . . . . . Waite. . . . .







. . . . .  for. . . . . 












. . . . .  it. . . . . . .









This top!!


PSYCH!

I lied.

 The chair was not my source of inspiration but one of my students was. I was trying to come up with some new class ideas for this summer, and one of my students told me she wanted to make a top. What an excellent idea!



 So I found a simple top pattern, and, because I have a strict no purchasing of new fabric to make class samples policy, I used up the leftover rose fabric.

And TADA!



Beautiful rose top.
With ties.
That also match the chair.
Cause if you’re gona match your chair, you might as well go all out and REALLY match the chair.



Come to my class and you too can have one. But yours will be better. Cause you made it. And you probably have more talent in your left earlobe than Cordelia and me combined.
 
 
 
I bet you didn’t know it was cool to match you furniture!
 
 Well it is!!
 
Stick with Cordelia and you’ll learn all kinds of life altering (err can I really call it that) stuff.





Cordelia?

Cordelia!?!

Cordelia where are you?!?!?!

Have you seen Cordelia?!?! I can’t find her!


The best part about matching your furniture?

It’s like having your very own invisibility cloak!!! Who needs Harry Potter when you have the chameleon effect?



Happy Chameleoning,
~Melisa and Cordelia

No comments:

Post a Comment