Saturday, October 9, 2010

Would You Like Paper or Plastic with That?


Next time you’re in the grocery store check out line and someone asks you Paper or Plastic? Be sure to tell them paper—even if you’re one of those super responsible people who always remembers to bring their reusable bags with them.
Trust me, your gonna want a few paper bags after you see what I can do with them.

So here’s a little known fact about Cordelia:
Sister’s got a serious sweet tooth.


Good things she’s got a killer metabolism to go with it or I might have to fire her on grounds of not being the right size. That’s the life of a fit model; starve to be thin or…um starve cause you have no income.

Anyhow, Cordelia and I decided to have a nice peaceful Friday nigh in this weekend and we decided this night would not be complete without some carmel popcorn.
Se we made some.
 In the microwave.
 It was delicious.

Here’s how you make this delectable little treat.



Note: this recipe came to me from my buddy Erica. You can read about her wedding here if you want.
Start by gathering your ingredients. You’ll need:

4 quarts popcorn (if anyone figures out what 4 quarts of popcorn looks like, please let me know—I used 2 packages of microwave popcorn.)

¼ Cup light Karo Syrup

¼ teaspoon salt BUT ONLY IF you are using unsalted popcorn. I use microwave popcorn and that is always salted so I leave this out.

½ Cup butter. That’s one whole stick for the kitchen challenged (like myself)

1 Cup brown sugar. Pack it in, it’s the good stuff.

2 brown paper grocery bags.



Here’s what you do:

Put your apron on.

The apron adds an infinite level of goodness to the end product.

Especially if your apron has cowboys on it cause cowboys are tastie.

Take a brown paper bag and place it inside another brown paper bag. Trust me, eventually at some point something’s going to break and you’ll be glad you did.


Pop the popcorn and dump it in the paper bags.



Combine all the remaining ingredients in a microwave safe bowl.




Microwave for 2 minutes.


 Remove and stir well.

Cook another 3 minutes, but pay attention cause it likes to spill over, and really, who wants to clean this sticky mess out of their microwave?.

Add ½ teaspoon baking soda to the mixture and stir well.
It's gona change color and foam up a bit.


I promise this is backing soda even though it's a tobacco can.

Pour this over the popcorn,


 close the bag and shake it up.


Shake it up baby, now shake it up baby. Twist and shout. (twist and shout) Come on baby now, (cmon baby) come on and work it on out.

Note: Cordelia and I frequently perform this step while singing/ dancing on a float in a parade while playing hooky from high school.
 Er... um, wait, maybe I’m getting us confused with Ferris Bueller

Put the whole thing in the microwave for a minute.


While you are waiting, eat a tomato from the garden so you can pretend you have a healthy diet—not the sweet, fatty, junk food riddled one you really have.


Remove the bag, and shake it a little more.



Put it back in the microwave for another 30 seconds or so. Eat another tomato. Remove. Shake.

Dump it all out on some waked paper or, in my case, aluminum foil casue it’s what I’ve got.


Now while the popcorn cools, go take a shower to wash off the stick.
Unless you enjoy being sticky.
In which case, I hope you are a preschool teacher.

Now take a bowlful and be sure to eat it in bed.

This way you not only get popcorn kernels in your bed, but you also get to smear your sticky, greasy hands all over your sheets.

This is Oadie for,
“"Sceuse me? What you doing with that in my bed?”
Silly me, all this time I thought it was MY bed.

Now that’s a Friday night in!
Happy popcorn eatin
~Melisa & Cordelia


























No comments:

Post a Comment