Friday, December 31, 2010

A Festive Coat for Festive New Years Occasions



First off, Happy New Years All!
I hope you all have a wonderful, prosperous, and gratifying 2011!

Secondly, it’s confession time here at the Cordelia Files.
 Today, I must profess that I LOVE COATS!
All coats, any type will do, I’m not one to discriminate.
I love wearing them, I love designing them, I love making them, I love looking at them hanging in my closet, I love wearing them around with nothing on underneath.
Um, wait, scratch that one, I was just testing to see if you were really paying attention.

And I especially love how sometimes a girl just needs a fancy coat.
 Which I did.
 Because the Holiday Season was amongst us and Holiday Season = cold weather and fancy parties.
 So I made myself a fancy little festive number.




I like to call this my Red Lace Coat.
Cause I used Chantilly lace layered over red Italian wool to make it.



When designing this coat I asked myself, “What Would Jacquie O Wear?” and created a coat I like to imagine could be worn to White House celebration.

In Honor of Jacquie I used Big O self covered buttons.



With matching Big O bound buttonholes.


And for the record, I am in LOVE with my new camera which allowed me to take shots like these!
All that detail captured!


I hand beaded the collar,



And did the same for the welt pocket flap.



And I was especially proud of myself for deciding to let the galloon of the lace hang off the front edges.



It is lined with a polka dot charmeuse, and even though it is polyester, I don’t care cause it is soft and luxurious and feel like butter on my skin.




I threw in a gold piping detail for good measure.



And, as I do with most of my coats, I embroidered a quote in the facing.
"When in doubt, wear red." ~Bill Blass



Happy 2011, and may the new year bring you a bounty of beautiful coats!

Happy Coat Wearing
~Melisa & Cordelia

No comments:

Post a Comment