Thursday, February 3, 2011

Alex Gets A Civil War Greatcoat the Grand Finale

Haaaave you met Alex?




Sure you have. Alex is one of the Brother Hart’s friends and I talk about him, like, all the time man. As some of you may have heard, I’ve been making him a Civil War inspired greatcoat.



If you didn’t know about the coat, you should probably take a moment to read about it here.



And here.



And if you really want to be informed here.



And you can even catch a glimpse of it here.



Who knew one coat could provide so much blogging material?




Well, just in case you are like me and you are too lazy to catch yourself up, I’ll go ahead and give you a brief run through.



When we first started our little project, the coat looked like this:



Cause it was just an idea and I wanted to make sure Alex and I had the same idea in our heads.



Then I cut up a little fabric, threw in a few stitches and the coat looked like this:

 


I had made a muslin--or rough draft---to make sure the coat fit Alex. Which it did---sort of.



Then we visited the coat again and it looked like this:

 


Because I had been busy traveling and snowboarding and other non sewing related stuff.



But then I got my sewing butt in gear and the coat soon looked like this:




I shipped it off to Alex with only one arm so he could try it on again.
And, because Alex only has one arm.
He lost one in a tragic synchronized swimming incident.

Just Kidding!

Alex has both arms.

You still fell for that joke?

Geesh.

Talk about gullible.

This time it fit beautifully. Yay! Go team Melisa & Cordelia.





Which brings us to today when I walked into my studio and it looked like this:



 
Wow Cordelia, you stayed up all night finishing that for me? How nice of you! Wait, what was I thinking? Cordelia has no hands, Oadie must have helped.



It’s been a bit of a slow process, but finally, at long last I have finished this here dang coat, and so I thought I would share it with the world. And by world I mean my two readers, both of which have probably already seen the coat in person, but that’s besides the point.



So sit back, relax and enjoy as I take you on a magical greatcoat tour.








The cape is removable.  What a great idea Alex, and not just cause I don't know if my machine could handle sewing through the cape, and the hood and the body and the lining.

Oh, wait, I have a Bernina. 
Yes it could have handled all that bulk.
But could I have held it all?
Most likely not.
This puppy ways about a million and 10 pounds.





The Papa Hart thought the coat was so cool he had to hijack it for a photo shoot before I was allowed to ship it to Boston.


Hope you like the new coat Alex.  Be nice to the post man and you'll be getting it soon!

Oh PS.  I'm suppose to ask you why you crazy Bostonians don't just dump all you piles of snow into the Massachusetts Bay?!?!

Stay warm,
~Melisa &Cordelia

No comments:

Post a Comment